A parent in your community has invited you to take the SafeLaunch Parent Pledge and we’re glad you’re here.
The Pledge consists of common sense actions to strengthen your family’s bond and protect your children’s health. When you take and adhere to the pledge, you protect your children and their friends from the negative effects of drug and alcohol use.
I Pledge To:
A typical scenario:
Your child: Mom, can I go over to Joey’s house? You: Who’s Joey? Your child: He’s a kid from school. You: Sounds fun but I need to talk to his parents, first. Give them my number and ask them to call me or get their number so I can call them. Your child: Oh, Mom… OK.
Then, you have to call and introduce yourself to find out if you feel comfortable having your child go to a stranger’s house. It can be awkward for both parents and you might not find out what you need to know.
The same scenario with The SafeLaunch Parent Text:
Your child: Mom, can I go over to Joey’s house? You: Who’s Joey? Your child: He’s a kid from school. You: Please ask for his mom or dad’s mobile number and I’ll contact them. Your child: OK.
Now, you have a straightforward means to ensure that you are on the same page with “Joey's” parents.
With The SafeLaunch Parent Text, you can find out whether or not other parents share your commitment to protecting children from alcohol and drug exposure in 2 steps:
- Text another parent’s mobile number to 844-541-7233 (844-541-SAFE). You’ll immediately get a text message reply indicating whether or not they’ve taken the Pledge. If yes, great!
- If not, send a message (like the sample text below) to the child’s parent, asking them to take the pledge! You can check if they’ve taken the pledge again afterwards by texting their number back to 844-541-SAFE.
CUT & PASTE SAMPLE TEXT MESSAGE FOR FRIENDS AND FAMILY:
Hi! We have house rules to keep our kids safe from
alcohol and drugs. To keep your kids and their friends safe,
please text INFO to 844-541-SAFE. Thanks!
Of course, you’ll still need to talk about dates, times, transportation and all of those details, but now you’ll know “right off the bat” that you’re on the same page when it comes to preventing drugs and alcohol from derailing your family’s hopes for a happy future. If another parent is unwilling to take The Parent Pledge, you now have information to inform your decision about future invitations.
- When you take the pledge your cell number will be entered into the SafeLaunch Parent Text group.
- When you text another parent’s number to 844-541-SAFE, we will not store their number without their consent.
- SafeLaunch will only send texts when you “Opt In” for text alerts that confirm or deny another parent’s Pledge status.
- You can opt out at any time.
- There is no cost for this service.
- SafeLaunch will never share or sell your information. We’re just parents like you!
- The SafeLaunch Parent Pledge Text Group is searchable only by one phone number at a time and the only information it provides is whether or not the person associated with that number has taken the pledge - no other information will be shared.
Chemical dependence is a chronic brain disease that
typically begins in childhood or adolescence.
-National Institute on Drug Abuse
Substance Abuse Facts
• Addiction is like a contagious disease. It is contracted by early exposure to drug or alcohol “experimentation” with other adolescents or in some cases, adults.
• If another parent is unwilling to take the SafeLaunch pledge, you now have information to guide your decision about social invitations.
• The average first exposure is now age 12, sadly in some cases even younger.
• Because you can’t be with your child 24/7, do everything you can protect them from early exposure to alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and other drugs. Pay special attention to their friends’ home environments because 9 out of 10 people who become addicted to drugs and alcohol were exposed as children.
- Print out The Parent Pledge and keep it on the refrigerator to serve as a healthy reminder of your family's commitment to keep your children safe.
- Print out The Parent Pledge and keep it on the refrigerator to serve as a reminder of your family's commitment to a healthy future.
- If you’d like to have The Parent Pledge as wallet-sized cards as shown below to share with your friends or your children’s school, email firstname.lastname@example.org.